Daniel Berger won in Memphis for the second consecutive year yesterday at TPC Southwind. Per the PGA Tour, “TPC” symbolizes PGA Tour-approved golf and while Southwind is a private club, 15 of the TPC golf courses are public.
Here is the batch and all except for one are in the U.S., The Old White TPC, TPC Cartagena at Karibana, TPC Colorado, TPC Deere Run, TPC Dorado Beach, TPC Eagle Trace, TPC Four Seasons Las Colinas, TPC Harding Park, TPC Las Vegas, TPC Louisiana, TPC Myrtle Beach, TPC San Antonio, TPC Sawgrass, TPC Scottsdale and TPC Tampa Bay.
When most people hear, “TPC” they default to Sawgrass, but Cartagena should be considered. The history, food, golf course and the Caribbean Sea—it’s a special place indeed. We were at TPC Cartagena at Karibana in Cartagena, Colombia in December of 2016 and miss those arepas like the deserts miss the rain. Sofía Vergara shot a commercial for Cerveza Aguila on the beach there a few weeks prior to our arrival. Several celebrities and PGA Tour pros have visited the resort. Camilo Villegas, Ernie Els, Ángel Cabrera and Sebastián Muñoz competed in a skins match during our stay, Colombia native Camilo Villegas came out ahead.
We spoke with Joseph Mildenberg, developer, TPC Cartagena at Karibana and here a few of his recommendations:
- Obviously, a few rounds of golf here at TPC Cartagena at Karibana
- Take a walk through Walled City, there are restaurants all over with all types of food. I recently had Indian food, which we haven’t always had here. I met the owner, he moved here from India for the opportunities here in Cartagena. He loves it here, it’s good to see growing diversity here in Colombia.
- You must go to Café Del Mar at sunset for drinks, it’s incredible.
- Take a boat to the Rosario Islands for some snorkeling or scuba diving.
- And the nightlife is good too, I don’t stay out late like I did when I was younger, but there are plenty of places that go until 8 a.m.
We stayed at the Movich boutique hotel within the Walled City and checked off everything on Mr. Mildenberg’s recommendations, he knows what he’s talking about. We also recommend dining at Club de Pesca Restaurant and Restaurante Candé.
Cartagena is a rich with pirate attacks from the French, English and Dutch; the walking tour through the Walled City is a must. People have preconceived notions of Colombia; that will change with a visit.